Dr. Antoni B. Chan
BSc MEng Cornell, PhD UC San Diego
Office: Room AC1-G7311, Yeung Kin Man Academic Building (lift 7)
Phone: +852 3442 6509
Fax: +852 3442 0503
Email: abchan at cityu dot edu dot hk
Dr. Antoni Chan is an associate professor at the City University of Hong Kong in the Department of Computer Science. Before joining CityU, he was a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California, San Diego (UC San Diego). He received the Ph.D. degree from UC San Diego in 2008 studying in the Statistical and Visual Computing Lab (SVCL). He received the B.Sc. and M.Eng. in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University in 2000 and 2001. From 2001 to 2003, he was a Visiting Scientist in the Computer Vision and Image Analysis lab at Cornell. In 2005, he was a summer intern at Google in New York City. In 2012, he was the recipient of an Early Career Award from the Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong SAR, China.
Research Interests [more]
Computer Vision, Surveillance, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, Computer Audition, Music Information Retrieval, Eye Gaze Analysis
dynamic textures, motion segmentation, motion analysis, semantic image annotation, image retrieval, crowd counting, probabilistic graphical models, support vector machines, Bayesian regression, Gaussian processes, semantic music annotation and retrieval, music segmentation, feature extraction.
- For more information about my current research projects, please visit my lab website.
- Opportunities for graduate students and research assistants! If you are interested in joining the lab, please check this information. Outstanding non-HK students may also consider applying for the HK PhD fellowship.
Recent Publications [more]
- Eye Movement Patterns in Face Recognition are Associated with Cognitive Decline in Older Adults.
Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, to appear 2018.
- Density-Preserving Hierarchical EM Algorithm: Simplifying Gaussian Mixture Models for Approximate Inference.
IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), to appear 2018.
- Beyond Counting: Comparisons of Density Maps for Crowd Analysis Tasks - Counting, Detection, and Tracking.
IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT), to appear 2018.
- Individuals with Insomnia Misrecognize Angry Faces as Fearful Faces While Missing the Eyes: An Eye-Tracking Study.
SLEEP, to appear.
- Hand detection using deformable part models on an egocentric perspective.
In: Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA), Canberra, Dec 2018.
- Gated Hierarchical Attention for Image Captioning.
In: Asian Conference on Computer Vision (ACCV), Perth, Dec 2018.
- Learning Dynamic Memory Networks for Object Tracking.
In: European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), Munich, Sept 2018.
- Crowd Counting by Adaptively Fusing Predictions from an Image Pyramid.
In: British Machine Vision Conference (BMVC), Newcastle, Sept 2018. [supplemental]
- Music Reading Expertise Facilitates English but not Chinese sentence reading: Evidence from Eye Movement Behavior.
In: 15th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition (ICMPC15), Sydney, July 2018.
- Fusing Crowd Density Maps and Visual Object Trackers for People Tracking in Crowd Scenes.
In: IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Salt Lake City, Jun 2018.
- CNN+CNN: Convolutional Decoders for Image Captioning.
In: IEEE Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition: Language and Vision Workshop, Salt Lake City, Jun 2018.
- Color Orchestra: Ordering Color Palettes for Interpolation and Prediction.
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), 24(6):1942-1955, June 2018.
- Scanpath modeling and classification with Hidden Markov Models.
Behavior Research Methods, 50:362-379, Feb 2018.
- Incorporating Side Information by Adaptive Convolution.
In: Neural Information Processing Systems, Long Beach, Dec 2017. [supplemental]
- Is having similar eye movement patterns during face learning and recognition beneficial for recognition performance? Evidence from hidden Markov modeling.
Vision Research, 141:204-216, Dec 2017.
Selected Publications [more]
- Maximum-Margin Structured Learning with Deep Networks for 3D Human Pose Estimation.
International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), 122(1):149-168, March 2017.
- Understanding eye movements in face recognition using hidden Markov models.
Journal of Vision, 14(11):8, Sep 2014.
- Clustering hidden Markov models with variational HEM.
Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), 15(2):697-747, Feb 2014. [code]
- Clustering Dynamic Textures with the Hierarchical EM Algorithm for Modeling Video.
IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), 35(7):1606-1621, Jul 2013. [appendix]
- Counting People with Low-Level Features and Bayesian Regression.
IEEE Trans. on Image Processing (TIP), 21(4):2170-2177, May 2012.
- Layered dynamic textures.
IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), 31(10):1862-1879, Oct 2009.
- Modeling, clustering, and segmenting video with mixtures of dynamic textures.
IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), 30(5):909-926, May 2008.
- Modeling music as a dynamic texture.
IEEE Trans. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing (TASLP), 18(3):602-612, Mar 2010.
- Supervised learning of semantic classes for image annotation and retrieval.
IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), 29(3):394-410, Mar 2007.
- CS 4487 – Machine learning (undergraduate) — 2015A-2018A.
- CS 5487 – Machine learning (postgraduate) — 2012A-2018A.
- GE 2326 – Probability in Action: From the Unfinished Game to the Modern World — 2015B-2017B.
- GE 1319 – Interdisciplinary Research for Smart Professionals — 2013B-2017B.
- CS 5301 – Computer Programming — 2012A-2014A.
- CS 2363 – Computer Programming — 2009A-2011A.
- CS 3306 (B) – Contemporary Programming Methods in Java — 2010B.
- CS 4380 (B) – Web 2.0 Technologies — 2011B, 2012B.
- Final Year Project Coordinator
- Research Mentoring Scheme Coordinator
- MSCS Project and Guided Study Coordinator
- Senior Area Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Letters (2016-)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Letters (2014-2016)
- Conference Area Chair
- ICCV – 2015, 2017
- Pacific Graphics – 2018
- Conference Program Committees
- CVPR – 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- ICCV – 2011, 2013
- ECCV – 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018
- ACCV – 2011, 2014, 2016
- ICML – 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018
- NIPS – 2015, 2017, 2018
- Siggraph (tertiary)- 2018
- Journal Reviewing
- IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI)
- IEEE Trans. on Image Processing (TIP)
- Intl. Journal Computer Vision (IJCV)
- IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT)
- IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks (TNN)
- IEEE Trans. on Multimedia
- IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation Systems
Awards and Honors
- The President’s Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2016.
- Early Career Award, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, 2012.
- NSF IGERT Fellowship: Vision and Learning in Humans and Machines, UCSD, 2006-07.
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, ECE Department, UCSD, 2005-06.
- Office of the President Award, UCSD, 2003.
- Henry G. White Scholorship, Cornell University, 2001.
- Knauss M. Engineering Scholorship, Cornell University, 2001.
- GTE Fellowship, Cornell University, 2001.
Dr. Antoni Chan,
Department of Computer Science,
City University of Hong Kong,
Tat Chee Avenue,
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong.
©IEEE. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.