Our main research activities include:
- Computer Vision, Surveillance
- Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition
- Computer Audition, Music Information Retrieval
- Eye Gaze Analysis
For more information about our current research, please visit the projects and publication pages.
Opportunities for graduate students and research assistants – if you are interested in joining the lab, please check this information.
Latest News [more]
- [Nov 1, 2018]
Congratulations to Lei for defending her thesis!
- [Jun 28, 2016]
Congratulations to Sijin for defending his thesis!
- [Jun 25, 2016]
Congratulations to Adeel for winning a “Best Research Paper Award 2013/14” from the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan for his TPAMI 2013 paper!
- [Apr 26, 2016]
Congratulations to Huy for defending his Thesis!
Recent Publications [more]
- Eye Movement Patterns in Face Recognition are Associated with Cognitive Decline in Older Adults.
Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, to appear 2018.
- Density-Preserving Hierarchical EM Algorithm: Simplifying Gaussian Mixture Models for Approximate Inference.
IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), to appear 2018.
- Beyond Counting: Comparisons of Density Maps for Crowd Analysis Tasks - Counting, Detection, and Tracking.
IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT), to appear 2018.
- Individuals with Insomnia Misrecognize Angry Faces as Fearful Faces While Missing the Eyes: An Eye-Tracking Study.
SLEEP, to appear.
- Hand detection using deformable part models on an egocentric perspective.
In: Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA), Canberra, Dec 2018.
- Gated Hierarchical Attention for Image Captioning.
In: Asian Conference on Computer Vision (ACCV), Perth, Dec 2018.
- Learning Dynamic Memory Networks for Object Tracking.
In: European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), Munich, Sept 2018.
- Crowd Counting by Adaptively Fusing Predictions from an Image Pyramid.
In: British Machine Vision Conference (BMVC), Newcastle, Sept 2018. [supplemental]
- Music Reading Expertise Facilitates English but not Chinese sentence reading: Evidence from Eye Movement Behavior.
In: 15th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition (ICMPC15), Sydney, July 2018.
- Fusing Crowd Density Maps and Visual Object Trackers for People Tracking in Crowd Scenes.
In: IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Salt Lake City, Jun 2018.
Recent Project Pages [more]
We collect a multi-view and stereo-depth dataset for 3D human pose estimation, which consists of challenging martial arts actions (Tai-chi and Karate), dancing actions (hip-hop and jazz), and sports actions (basketball, volleyball, football, rugby, tennis and badminton).
- "Martial Arts, Dancing and Sports Dataset: a Challenging Stereo and Multi-View Dataset for 3D Human Pose Estimation." Image and Vision Computing, 61:22-39, May 2017. [supplemental],
We use hidden Markov models (HMMs) to analyze eye movement data. A person’s eye fixation sequence is summarized with an HMM, and common strategies among people are discovered by clustering HMMs.
- "Understanding eye movements in face recognition using hidden Markov models." Journal of Vision, 14(11):8, Sep 2014.,
We present an approach that allows web designers to easily direct user attention via visual flow on web designs.
- "Directing User Attention via Visual Flow on Web Designs." ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH Asia 2016), Dec 2016. [supplemental | video],